Hello all, this is Dennis again. The students left the other day to go back to El Higo except for Eliud. He stayed here with us. I’m hearing rumors that Chely & Michele are going to return soon as well. Andrew went home to Indiana for a while and now it looks like he’s going to be in the Honduras in July, so we probably won’t see him back here until August. For now that leaves Lalo, Eliud, Elda, me and the baby. Otherwise the ministry continues as usual. With the rainy season here it’s not so hot anymore, just muddy.
I posted a picture set of the last half of the students’ time here. Eduardo & Andrew took them all on a sort of side outreach to Tuxtepec and our friend Pastor Pascual’s area in El Fortin Chiltepec (about 20 miles south of Tuxtepec). They got to visit several of Pascual’s missions in the mountains and they also had a free day in Tuxtepec. It’s all documented in the pictures.
I’m posting the needs list again. Thanks to everyone for your prayers and support and we’ll talk to y’all again next time.
01. The most urgent need right now is to get a thatch roof up on the new structure before the students get back here in mid-April. It will take Maximo and his sons 2-3 weeks from start to finish and cost about 2000 dollars.
02. We’re looking at a property on the mainland in the town of Pescadito. There is already a partially built structure there. This would serve as a staging area to launch boats from and provide a place to park vans and boat trailers when we’re on the island. There is also an open door for ministry there and a small community of Christians there with no church. We have been visiting them when we’ve been able and this property could also serve as a church and enable us to work with these people more often. The property is going for 100,000 Pesos. At the current exchange rate that’s only about 8000 dollars.
03. Boats. The boat that we had was a small fishing boat and could only transport 8 people. With the students on the island plus ourselves and school staff there will be 20 of us in April & May. Add to that the fact that our ministry is expanding to other islands faster than we can keep up with it. By next summer we could easily be having services on more than one island at the same time. This means we need more boats. We can buy a boat down here that can carry 15 people for about 5000 dollars. They may be a lot cheaper in the states in the winter time where things like that are more seasonal. Down here it’s summer all the time and boats are like gold here.
04. A second bathroom. With 20 people here at once the bathroom is gonna be packed all the time. We can put up another bathroom with a concrete floor for 1000 dollars.
05. Sound System. A speaker system for services with several people to enable everyone to be able to here the message. Also for praise & worship. A 250 amp Fender Passport system runs for about 1000 dollars. I’ve found them on ebay and amazon for 450 dollars.
06. Projector. We’ve been wanting to eventually start having a movie night where we show a different Christian movie every week. We’ve done this before in other areas of Dayspring’s ministry with very positive results. A projector costs about 600 dollars and would be used in conjunction with the aforementioned sound system.
07. Keyboard. We’ve got no real worship team at this time on the island. Eduardo plays keyboard and can lead worship very well himself. He has an old one that doesn’t work very well, but he’s looking for a new one. I don’t know what they cost, but I’ll ask him what he’s looking for and we’ll post it here next time.
08. Bibles. We need bibles badly. Reina Valera version in Spanish. Whole bibles with old & new testament. We need as many as we can get. There are lots of people down here that need one.
09. Computers. We could use a couple computers. Right now my laptop is all we have. Andrew & Lalo both use it to write sermons. Lalo also is organizing worship songs on the computer a lot. Also for storing the photos that everyone takes. We hope to eventually have internet here and maybe a cyber café (a place where the local youth can come and use internet). This would be very helpful in starting a youth group ministry here. Right now a couple hand-me-down laptops for Lalo & Andrew would be good and several desktops for a cyber café next year.
10. Appliances. We could use any kitchen appliances that still work. Refridgerator, Microwave, toaster, etc.